The Papers of Martin Van Buren seeks three undergraduate interns for this presidential papers project, which will produce a digital edition that makes available transcriptions of approximately 13,000 known Van Buren documents.
Duties: Digitize, folder, catalog, transcribe, annotate, and/or proofread documents, as well as other project-related duties as assigned by the editorial staff.
Length of internship: Three-month appointment between May 15 and August 15, 2019.
Pay rate: $11.50/hour, for up to 175 hours.
Requirements: In addition to fulfilling all of CU's requirements for internships (if taking for course credit), interested undergraduate students must meet the following requirements:
1. They must have a 3.0 GPA at the beginning of the semester of the award.
2. They must submit a letter of interest in the scholarship to Dr. Mark Cheathem, as well as three (3) letters of recommendation from faculty or staff. (Two letters must be from faculty.)
3. Students must interview with the Van Buren editorial staff.
4. Awardees are required to be in residence at the project office in Cumberland University’s Vise Library.
5. CU awardees must make a presentation about the Van Buren project at the Fall 2019 CU Colloquium.
If you are interested in applying for these internships, please submit your letter of interest and three letters of recommendation directly to Dr. Cheathem (email: firstname.lastname@example.org; regular mail: Van Buren Papers, Vise Library, Cumberland University, 1 Cumberland Square, Lebanon TN 37087) by Monday, April 1, 2019.