Thanks to the generosity of the Watson-Brown Foundation, The Papers of Martin Van Buren, hosted at Cumberland University (CU), is pleased to announce that it is able to offer three scholarships of up to $8,000 each for the Fall 2018 semester.
CU students who are awarded these scholarships must meet the following requirements:
1. They must have a 3.0 GPA at the beginning of the award semester.
2. They must submit a letter of interest in the scholarship to Dr. Mark Cheathem, as well as three (3) letters of recommendation from CU faculty or staff. At least two (2) of the letters must come from CU faculty.
3. Students must interview with the Van Buren editorial staff.
4. Awardees must make a presentation about the Van Buren project at the Fall 2018 CU Colloquium.
5. Awardees must enroll in (or audit) the Fall 2018 course HIS 465 Documentary Editing course.
6. Awardees must work on the Van Buren Papers for 20 hours per week during the award semester.
7. Failure to successfully complete the requisite course or required work hours will require awardees to pay back the entire scholarship award.
If you are interested in applying for this scholarship, please submit your letter of interest and three letters of recommendation directly to Dr. Cheathem (email@example.com or in Labry 216) by Monday, April 30, 2018.